Sunday, December 14, 2014

Thought I’d start writing again. The last few years have been rough and I’ve fallen back on some old habits. I tend to be a bit reclusive again. I don’t talk about my feelings much. But I know where I’ve been and I can do it again. Here’s a summary of what happened:

  1. Got laid off from work
  2. Almost lost my house
  3. My Grandfather died
  4. My Grandmother died
  5. Rented out my house
  6. Got a new job
  7. Moved back into my renter trashed house
  8. Survived multiple layoffs
  9. My Dog died
  10. Gained back the weight I lost


Yeah some of these were good. However even the good things can be stressful. Just needed to put it all in perspective. What may be surprising is that I thank God for these things. God used this time to temper me, to make me stronger.

Romans 5:3-5New International Version (NIV)
Not only so, but we[a] also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us. 
  1. The things that got me through it all:
  2. God
  3. My Family
  4. Good friends
  5. Medication


#4 is no joke. I found out during this time that I suffer from Anxiety and depression. Anyone that suffers from it would agree that the right medication (in the right amounts) can open up a new world. I think the first week I probably drove my family crazy with comments about how this is what it feels like to be normal! I mention this also because there seems to be a stigma against using medications for this. In the last few years I could feel God’s hand working in all of this. If not for his guidance I don’t think I would be where I am now. He led me to this place and has greater things in store. This was just one step along the rocky path.

Jeremiah 29:11

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Now, in the spirit of the New Year here are my plans for the New Year. I know that I want to get back to being the person I was prior to losing my job. Though maybe not totally. The last year (or two) I’ve focused on rebuilding my relationship with God. Prior to losing my job I don’t think that was high on my list to be honest. My relationship with God comes first in my life now. That doesn’t mean I can’t work on the others as well though *smile*. My new goals for the New Year go as follows:
  1. Continuing to improve my knowledge and relationship with God.
  2. Finding a way to serve God
  3. Being a great Uncle, Brother, Friend and Son.
  4. Becoming active and losing the weight again.
  5. Becoming better at my job.


Anyone with suggestions for #2 I’d appreciate *smile*. I do feel that there is a way in which I do feel drawn. We live in a world that seems to want to ridicule and force Christianity into the shadows. To mock us and declare us as extremist and bigots. I think it is more important than ever to step out into the open and declare the Good News and stand up for our beliefs. Always respectfully and with compassion and love; but also with strength and determination.  

Remember the words of Martin Niemöller about the Nazi’s in 1946:


First they came for the Jews
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for the Communists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a Communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists
and I did not speak out
because I was not a trade unionist.

Then they came for me
There was no one left to speak out.



No comments:

Post a Comment